a work in progress

a work in progress

Monday, April 6, 2009

the great escape

the weather here has been such a tease. absolutely beautiful, then days of rain, then snow! what?? regardless we are having a blast when we are outside. i can't even explain to you how much ty likes being outside. he will bring me his shoes and says "oooes" and will sit down and wait for me to put them on. he knows how to work the battery powered cars, will sit on them and drive until he hits a wall, will run and bring me a bike helmet to put on him so he can ride around - even if it is a princess helmet. we broke down and bought him a hot wheels one, although he does have to ride the princess bike. i tell you, he has no fear. he will walk to the end of the drive way and i make sure i tell him to stop and sit down, which gives me plenty of time to get him and tell him we don't go out in the street - the same thing i have done with the girls. there are plenty of times that i have my back turned, doing something in the garage while all three kids are playing with chalk, riding bikes, looking at bugs, whatever. they are never out of my reach to help in an emergency. this past week i was folding laundry (the laundry room is right inside the garage door) with the door open. all three kids were playing with the chalk and playing really nice actually. i finished up, closed the door and joined the girls who were right inside the garage now. "where is your brother?" OMG i take off running like none other. he was all the way down the street!!! now mind you we don't live on I-24 instead a quiet dead end street with only 15 houses on the whole quarter mile stretch - but he is 13 months!! i just about died. i was speechless. within .34 of a second i had him in my arms, frantically looking around to see who was dialing 911 to turn me in. i was horrified. my mind was running like a train out of control "who saw him out? who called the police? what if he fell and i couldn't find him? what if someone picked him up? what if a car would have hit him?" after appropriately beating myself up, i began to calm down and gave thanks to God for watching my son for me. i am not used to this curiousness of this precious little child. i will not be folding clothes anytime soon.



just some of the many adventures that this young man finds himself in. he is a climber. i don't encourage it, although i do try to find the camera so others will know how i died. even though he will give me a heart attack, he is a cutie...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kelly what memories that brings back, sometimes I think God gave me boys first so that I could learn how to handle the teenage years with the girls! What you are going through I can totally relate to, doing it on your own is no fun, but it is so rewarding even if you spend a lot of time beating yourself up. Just remember that you are doing the best you can with what you have, and no parent is perfect, no matter what outsiders try to tell you. I think of you all the time, if I can help in any way even if just to listen to you cry let me know. I love you Grams

    ReplyDelete